Noble Dreams

You are not logged in.

#71 Wed 12th Aug 2015 01:02 pm

Bhang
Paradigms of Vigilance
Website

Re: 14 stories that prove animals have souls

Sencha wrote:

... maybe it toughened her up as she enjoyed a long healthy life before snuffing it at 24.

A cat living to 24 years old?

Average lifespan of a domesticated cat is 10-12 years... please do explain!

Last edited by Bhang (Wed 12th Aug 2015 01:04 pm)

“Intelligence is the capacity to receive, decode and transmit information efficiently. Stupidity is blockage of this process at any point. Bigotry, ideologies etc. block the ability to receive; robotic reality-tunnels block the ability to decode or integrate new signals; censorship blocks transmission.” - Robert Anton Wilson

#72 Wed 12th Aug 2015 03:49 pm

Sencha

Sure, we had her when I was 3 years old (1975) and she died in '99. It's quite rare for cats to live to that age range, but I know a couple of people at present who have got cats aged 20+.

- Only had time for a brief reply earlier.

'Cats are living longer than ever. With improvements in nutrition and veterinary medicine including vaccines
and therapeutic agents, cats are living to over 15 years of age and in some cases over 20 years of age. Life expectancy depends on many things, including one important factor - whether your cat is an indoor-only cat or an outdoor cat. Indoor cats generally live from 12-18
years of age. Many may live to be in their early 20s. The oldest reported cat lived to be an amazing 28 years old.'

http://adelaidevet.com.au/pet-library/h … our-feline

Granted, our cat died well over a decade ago, but I only recall her going to the vets three times; two of which were when she was relatively young and the final time being when the vet diagnosed advanced renal failure and we agreed to have her put down - so she was very fortunate health-wise. Maybe it was a combination of factors such as good diet, being well looked after, spending most of her time indoors, not being around smokers, lots of TLC, good genetics, not having had a litter of her own (and the physical stress that comes with it), or perhaps she was just damn lucky.

Last edited by Sencha (Wed 12th Aug 2015 06:25 pm)

'Tea is drunk to forget the din of the world' - T’ien Yiheng.

#73 Fri 14th Aug 2015 02:19 pm

SW

My Mom was a cat person and she had two that lived to be 24 and 26. They were both males "john" and "ted". She adored these cats and they adored her. I find it so funny that any person who visited who really did not like cats that would be who they would go and sit on and make that person pet them.

I enjoy cats but I am much more of a dog person. I can't imagine life without a pet to love.

HOPE is the thing with feathers   
That perches in the soul,   
And sings the tune without the words,   
And never stops at all        Emily Dickinson

#74 Sat 15th Aug 2015 05:29 pm

SW

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/animalsan … is-coming/

This is my dream world. I am sure it is going to come true and I feel so good that I helped "make it so".

#75 Tue 25th Aug 2015 05:14 pm

Valentine

That was wonderful, sw!

Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear.  Mark Twain

#76 Tue 1st Sep 2015 04:55 pm

SW

so happy to see you are still nearby. I feel your warmth but it is good to read it. smile

#77 Tue 8th Sep 2015 03:54 pm

SW

One of those stories that I just have to share -

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/animalsan … -animals/#

Meet Ruby the Incredible Dog Who is the Ultimate Vet Nurse for Rescued Farm Animals

Ruby was purchased for a pretty penny to be a working sheep dog. When she failed her training her previous owner came to the conclusion she was worthless and packed her in the car with the intention of making it her last ride. He was taking her to a friend’s place where the friend was to shoot her. Pointing the gun at the trembling dog, something in Ruby’s pleading eyes pierced his soul and he laid down his gun. The choice to spare her life then came easy as she was then surrendered into our care.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/Connie1947/Connie1947004/10606311_852912138074933_6258829616154657427_n.jpg

#78 Sun 20th Sep 2015 02:03 pm

Sencha

The last of my three guinea pigs shuffled off his mortal coil on Thursday and while that in itself is nothing weird, it struck me how all three died in September, with the dates being 17th, 24th and 28th – only eleven days between them, and there were periods of exactly two years between their deaths (2011, 2013 and 2015).

On Thursday morning, the day I realized he’d had enough and asked the vet to give him the merciful release he deserved, I semi-awoke to a hypnagogic visual of his dead body lying in the cardboard box I’d put in his den for him to gnaw on, and when I woke up properly I had the chorus from a tune by Inspiral Carpets, called ‘This is How it Feels,’ going round in my head.

The lyrics are:

So this is how it feels to be lonely

This is how it feels to be small

This is how it feels when your word means nothing at all

When I checked on him within a few minutes of rising he really did look lonely, as well as miserable, and he was cold and weak when I held him. I guess the lyrics sum up the plight of a little animal that was suffering ‘alone,’ as there was no way for him to talk to me and make me understand how he was feeling, what the problem was, and when he’d had enough – so in a way they kind of ‘inspired’ me to turn down the vet’s final option (which she admitted was clutching at straws) and not risk prolonging his suffering for another 24 hours.

I’m guessing the guinea pig soul group doesn’t have an in-depth knowledge of the early 90’s Manchester music scene, so this was probably more of an internal prompting to let him go with some dignity – mind you, I’d forgotten the name of the band until I looked it up online, and initially thought it was ‘”world” means nothing at all,’ not ‘word.’

http://www.nobledreams.co.uk/uploads/thumbs/12_2015-07-12-420.jpg

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8_2NHaLmqOY

Last edited by Sencha (Sun 20th Sep 2015 02:32 pm)

#79 Sun 4th Oct 2015 06:38 am

SW

I came here to post the newest, and to me the most amazing article of a new book, called The Amazing Inner Lives of Animals. And discovered that wonderful post by you, Sencha. And that post so heart touching and real speaks volumes. I find it so amazing that as this article states, we humans keep asking over and over "Are we alone in the universe"? And all this time we should have been studying the fact that we are not alone here on our planet earth. The answer may startle many of us. And change us forever.

I have been struggling with the many, many stories of animal abuse, and especially factory farming techniques. The cruelty hurts my heart at a soul level and makes me feel so incredibly guilty for being a human. This book will not help with that.

I have nightmares of visions of killing animals and all we put them through and all the time thinking that they feel nothing, they are just things for us to use. But then my shame of trying over and over to become a vegan and failing. I became seriously ill and in intense pain from not eating enough protein. So I bargain with myself, I will only eat a little protein as necessary, and I will always say a prayer of thankfulness for the food that I do have to eat.

It seems the more aware one becomes the more intense it is to be a human. This is wonderful but also so painful.

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archive … s-animals/

Much published behavioral science, incidentally, is phrased in a neutral language that distances us from animals. Safina argues that we should use a common language of grief, joy, friendship, and empathy to describe the equivalent responses of both human and other animals. To this I would add the language of ceremony: What other word but “marriage” should be used to describe the ritual bonding, followed by lifelong commitment to their partners, of creatures like the albatross?

Sometimes it is the small things that best reveal shared life experience. When baby elephants are weaned they throw tantrums that rival those of the wildest two-year-old humans. One youngster became so upset with his mother that he screamed and trumpeted as he poked her with his tiny tusks. Finally, in frustration, he stuck his trunk into her anus, then turned around and kicked her. “You little horror!” thought Cynthia Moss as she watched the tantrum unfold.

Warning reading this may change you. And this is only an article about the book.

#80 Mon 5th Oct 2015 12:34 pm

Sencha

That article was a good read SW. And I'm with you on the protein issue;  while veggies can provide it to a degree, if I gave up fish, milk, cheese & eggs I reckon I'd look like a pipe cleaner after several months.

Board footer