Noble Dreams

Noble Dreams

You are not logged in.

#1 Mon 20th Feb 2012 06:21 am

SW

10 Myths About Introverts

http://www.carlkingdom.com/10-myths-about-introverts

In late-2008, I was lucky enough to discover a book called, The Introvert Advantage (How To Thrive in an Extrovert World), by Marti Laney, Psy.D. It felt like someone had written an encyclopedia entry on a rare race of people to which I belong. Not only had it explained many of my eccentricities, it helped me to redefine my entire life in a new and productive context.

Sure, anyone who knows me would say, ďDuh! Why did it take you so long to realize youíre an Introvert?Ē Itís not that simple. The problem is that labeling someone as an Introvert is a very shallow assessment, full of common misconceptions. Itís more complex than that.

A section of Laneyís book (page 71 through page 75) maps out the human brain and explains how neuro-transmitters follow different dominant paths in the nervous systems of Introverts and Extroverts. If the science behind the book is correct, it turns out that Introverts are people who are over-sensitive to Dopamine, so too much external stimulation overdoses and exhausts them. Conversely, Extroverts canít get enough Dopamine, and they require Adrenaline for their brains to create it. Extroverts also have a shorter pathway and less blood-flow to the brain. The messages of an Extrovertís nervous system mostly bypass the Brocaís area in the frontal lobe, which is where a large portion of contemplation takes place.

Unfortunately, according to the book, only about 25% of people are Introverts. There are even fewer that are as extreme as I am. This leads to a lot of misunderstandings, since society doesnít have very much experience with my people. (I love being able to say that.)

http://hiddengiftsoftheintrovertedchild.com/
Welcome to the website by and for introverts and those who care about them. Use this site to explore resources, find out more about the author, her books, activities and her plans for the future.

Marti Olsen Laney, Psy.D., M.F.T., is an author, researcher, speaker, educator and psychotherapist. Dr. Laney is Americaís foremost authority on introversion. She is the first person to integrate wide ranging physiological studies that explain the fundamental differences between introverted and extroverted bodies and brains. Her first book, The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive In an Extrovert World has sold over 100,000 copies Itís in itís seventh printing and it has been translated into over twelve languages. Take a peek at how each country designed their covers. Itís pretty funny and a bit strange. Dr. Laney is listed in Whoís, Who of American Women and the Guide to Americaís Top Mental Health Professionals. Read more About the Author

http://www.amazon.ca/Introvert-Advantag … 0761123695
At least one out of four people prefers to avoid the limelight, tends to listen more than they speak, feels alone in large groups, and requires lots of private time to restore their energy. They're introverts, and here is the book to help them boost their confidence while learning strategies for successfully living in an extrovert world. After dispelling common myths about introverts-they're not necessarily shy, aloof, or antisocial--The Introvert Advantage explains the real issues. Introverts are hardwired from birth to focus inward, so outside stimulation-chitchat, phone calls, parties, office meetings-can easily become "too much." The Introvert Advantage dispels introverts' belief that something is wrong with them and instead helps them recognize their inner strengths-their analytical skills, ability to think outside the box, and strong powers of concentration. It helps readers understand introversion and shows them how to determine where they fall on the introvert/extrovert continuum. It provides tools to improve relationships with partners, kids, colleagues, and friends, offering dozens of tips, including 10 ways to talk less and communicate more, 8 ways to showcase your abilities at work, how to take a child's temperament temperature, and strategies for socializing. Finally, it shows how to not just survive, but thrive-how to take advantage of the introvert's special qualities to create a life that's just right for the introvert temperament, to discover new ways to expand their energy reserves, and even how, when necessary, to confidently become a temporary extrovert.

My life as an introvert has been tortuous and filled with outer silence but lots of inner speech. On the internet my voice can finally be set free and why I am so very wordy. I wonder how many of us on forums are "introverts" who have found their voice?

HOPE is the thing with feathers   
That perches in the soul,   
And sings the tune without the words,   
And never stops at all        Emily Dickinson

#2 Mon 20th Feb 2012 11:04 am

Sencha

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts

My life as an introvert has been tortuous and filled with outer silence but lots of inner speech. On the internet my voice can finally be set free and why I am so very wordy. I wonder how many of us on forums are "introverts" who have found their voice?

- Count me in. It was only thanks to weed and alcohol that I finally found my feet in social situations while in my 20's, until I no longer needed them as a crutch. New social encounters/being in large group environments can still sometimes drain the hell out of me, but in the large part I've learned to adapt - mainly because I stopped beating myself up about it and trying to fit in; in fact, I think the majority of energy drainage came from the sheer effort of trying to fit in! I like who I am now, but it took a long time to get there. I'm always interested in new approaches and ideas though and that book looks well-worth a read.

'Tea is drunk to forget the din of the world' - Tíien Yiheng.

#3 Mon 20th Feb 2012 04:49 pm

Tom Paine
Tom Paine

Excellent, SW.
I'm basically an introvert and, like sencha, I used alcohol to override my introversion.
I quit alcohol 23 years ago but I remember how to at least fake it in social situations.
But I'd rather not try to "fit in" with extroverts because they don't like to talk about
serious matters.  They'd rather fly from one distraction to another.
TP

#4 Tue 21st Feb 2012 12:56 pm

molly
♫♪
Website

I don't know if mine being an introvert is by choice, really. I live in an area where few people share similar interests with me. I'd rather sit at home with my cat, son, internet & music machines, than go out & hear people ramble & gossip & watch them act stupid. And people around here don't know how to drive dumbom

But who knows.. i'm sure an edumickated psycho-therapist could find some way to tell me I'm anti-social, but hey, everyone sees things differently I guess.

Cool article though. Thanks!

#5 Tue 21st Feb 2012 03:45 pm

Tom Paine
Tom Paine

Hi molly,

If "antisocial" means "against the current culture" then I'm with you.

TP

#6 Wed 22nd Feb 2012 03:41 am

Charles
Website

Count me in on this one too.   

As a child my mother would force me outside to go play, and I would go to the roof to relax.  Of course sometimes I also played.   

I realized long ago that I don't bore myself, I live outside the box.

But now,  I'm old,  and I feel that our world is ready for a positive and  fantastic change.   
I feel happy despite all logic,  and I want to help others find this joy. 
I want to help co-create soul evolution and transformation.   
And something has happened, suddenly I simply don't care what others think of me. 
These days I open my mouth.   
And these days I'm making friends, and I'm invited to parties. 
I'm the old lady character people choose to confide in.   
It's amazing actually. 

But I do enjoy my peace and quiet. 
And I do enjoy all of you and this forum.

We Are One.

Board footer