Noble Dreams

Noble Dreams

You are not logged in.

#1 Thu 20th May 2010 11:44 am

Arrow
Standing At The Portal
Website

The Bokoshi Compost Method

My neighbors have been teaching me about this method of composting. Essentially it is impregnating your soil with lactobacillus bacteria (probiotics) and letting it do the work, and in rapid time. You will be able to eventually rid yourself of the drudgery of turning compost piles and developing soils that look like they came out of a planting soil mix bag. This  method of composting was developed in Japan.

There are a couple of ways to do bokashi and the site I offer you tells you how to make your own serum. Its inexpensive and easy to do. I am in the middle of my first batch of serum production and I have started a composting bucket from supplies a neighbor gave me, which is merely the bacteria impregnated newspaper.

I have been looking at gardens created from this method of composting combined with the lasagna methods of gardening as learned from the famous Ruth Stout and the more recent Patricia Lanza. Their gardens are amazing and the soils perfect.

The only other things I would add to the soil with bokashi and the lasagna methods are Utah trace minerals or paramagnetic minerals. I have been stunned by the effectiveness of Paradise Valley paramagnetic minerials, they have more magnetism than all other products and I managed to get some this spring and we tested it and were amazed on how they stimulated plant growth. The mine, unfortuantely is closed do to some business difficulties but should reopen in the fall.
http://www.paramagneticrock.com/

So here is a link to start seeing what it is about. This first link tells you how to make your own serum but if you are not so inclined you can purchase serum, called EM serum, about $12. I have chosen to make mine

This page is a little confusing and I had to cut and paste it onto my computer to keep it in a congruent order. I used brown rice  to make my serum as it was not specified but I think next time I will use white rice as that is what is likely used in Japan, the origin of this method.

http://bokashicomposting.com/  tells you how to make your own serum.

This following video tells you how to make bokashi with impregnated bran, instead of the newspapers as I do. It is a more expensive method and he does not tell you how to make the serum, you have to buy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96fSXccQx9Q

Now here is a video on how to bury it.

Now here's the same guy who goes back to his buried bokashi to show you how the the soil changes. You can really see it. I have been advised that it only takes 3 weeks for the breakdown, this guy waited 2 months to check on it, but his soil looks great!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYhvH5bt … re=related
=related

now this one tells more details on managing your bucket. There are bokoshi buckets for sale (expensive) with a spout and all but it is not necessary to go to that expense. Line the bottom of your bucket with a thick pad of newpapers to soak up fluids so your compost does not get boggy with it. I use a standard home depot bucket with a gamma lid for a tight seal and easy access. On top of my thick layer of newpaper on the bottom I cover with kitchen scraps ahout 1/2 to 1 inch thick then I place a two sheet layer of impregnated newspaper on top and press it down. Its now ready for the next layer.

In the winter months it is recommended that you get a black plastic trash can and cut the bottom out. Stablilize it somewhere in the garden so it won't blow over. have a pile of dirt next to it that is dry, and will not freeze. When your bokashi bucket is full dump it in this trash can, cover with soil and put a tight lid on. Even if its freezing cold it will cook. Keep filling your trash can. In the spring pull the plastic can off and you will have a find pile of bokasi compost ready for all your gardening composting and mulching needs.

making EM bokashi

Last edited by Arrow (Thu 20th May 2010 11:41 pm)

Arrow

And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make.

#2 Thu 20th May 2010 08:33 pm

universe_communion

Re: The Bokoshi Compost Method

Nice. I'm accumulating a pile of compost in the corner of the garden. I may have to look into this method.

#3 Tue 25th May 2010 06:47 am

SW

Re: The Bokoshi Compost Method

This is most definitely something I would like to try. I am an avid composter, so avid in fact that I am constantly in need of carbon. I never seem to have enough.

But composting is an art. Looking forward to my garden, but the planting gets a little harder each year. I an noticing more and more the seeds that fall on the ground and sprout are gifts indeed.

But gardening is good for your inside and your outside.

http://www.arthurmag.com/2009/04/02/the … im-dundon/

The Sodfather
Californian compost wizard TIM DUNDON talks shit with Daniel Chamberlin.

Photography by Eden Batki

Originally published in Arthur No. 27 (Dec 2007). Original design by Molly Frances and Mark Frohman. Find bonus Sodfather photos by Chamberlin at Into The Green.

Alchemists are often characterized in modern times as bumbling would-be wizards at best, greedy charlatans at worst. They’re portrayed as fumbling hopelessly in cluttered laboratories, unenlightened madmen trying to turn lead into gold. The reality is more complex, of course.

Alchemists were up to plenty of things, many of them having to do with relating to the natural world—and understanding its processes of transformation and transmutation—in philosophical and spiritual dimensions that transcended traditional religious thinking, both Christian and pagan, and preceded modern scientific thought. The whole “lead into gold” thing was but the most lucrative of the alchemical —or hermetic—practices in the eyes of the monarchs and rulers. Alchemy’s material prima as Peter Lamborn Wilson writes in the recent collection Green Hermeticism: Alchemy and Ecology, “can be found ‘on any dung hill.’ Hermeticism changes shit into gold.” It’s an image memorably realized in Alejandro Jodorowsky’s 1973 film The Holy Mountain wherein the thief character takes a dump in a fancy bucket, and Jodorowsky, playing an alchemist, distills those fresh turds into a hefty chunk of golden bling.

Such fantastical processes are well known to dirt-worshipping gardening sage Tim Dundon, the beneficent caretaker of California’s most famous compost pile and the kindly warden of the tropical forest that has fruited from its rich humus. It’s here that Dundon, a scientist-poet in the truest hermetic sense, finds hope and salvation in the transformation of death into life—of rotting organic matter into nutrient-rich soil—that takes place daily in the fecund jungle he maintains on his one-acre yard.

HOPE is the thing with feathers   
That perches in the soul,   
And sings the tune without the words,   
And never stops at all        Emily Dickinson

Board footer